Sunday, April 10, 2011

Paris, Je T'aime

Let's talk a little bit about that magical four letter word that we will all use at one point in our lives... 


No. Not that word. 
The four letter word I'm talking about is L-O-V-E. 

  


And Paris, Je T'aime (2006), is all about love. The part about this film that is truly beautiful, is that it is about all different kinds of love. The summary provided by IMDB says: "Through the neighborhoods of Paris, love is veiled, revealed, imitated, sucked dry, reinvented and awakened." I couldn't have said it any better myself. 

Paris, Je T'aime is a collection of short skits (very much like a collage), each directed by a different director and starring a different ensemble of cast members. You can expect to see some big names, such as Natalie Portman, Elijah Wood, Steve Buscemi, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and many, many, many more.

The skits range from sweet, to funny, to sad, to just plain weird. 
Coolest kid EVAR.
There was a lot of diversity between the segments, none like the other. One follows a mourning mother longing for her deceased child, one is about a couple of lonely mimes, and another following a very awkward tourist in the metro. 

The movie is in French, but some skits are in English. Actually, I'm honestly not sure what language the film is officially in... I've just always seen it in French. For instance, last night I watched it in French with Spanish Subtitles. I was with the friends I went to see Insidious with. 

The three amigos
I'm pretty sure you can watch it in English (but the dubbing might look a bit weird).I guess that's what subtitles are for. 


I found this film to be very enjoyable. The film segments were rather short, which is either good or bad, depending on your opinion on the segment. Don't like it? No worries! It's onto the next one within a few minutes. But very few segments really drew up a conclusion, and some ended abruptly leaving the viewer like: Err... what's next??? Some of the segments were so random, so incredibly odd, that I found myself raising an eyebrow and straining to make sense of the weirdness being presented before me.

Here is a sample of one of the skits. This is one of the weirder ones...



I'll bet you anything Stephenie Meyer saw this and was like:

OOO!!! Suddenly I has idea for boook!!!!

The Skit with Natalie Portman in it was very touching, and perhaps one of the best.
As a hopeless romantic, this nearly made me cry.
All in all, Paris Je T'aime was an enjoyable, well done film. Aside for a few eyebrow raisers, it was quite touching. I've seen it about 3 times now, and will watch it again in the future. If you don't like anything too mushy, and don't mind a bit of randomness, this may just be the film for you.

El Capitain OUT! 

PS: Thanks for the comments, guys! Your feedback is muchly appreciated. 

OMAGAD THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 comment:

  1. This movie is officially going on my list of all time favourites!!!
    I really enjoyed this entry :)

    ReplyDelete