Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Another Day At The Beach!

I'm late. 
Again.
What Am I late for, you may ask? Well, dear readers, I managed to completely miss D-day. Er, should I say, the D-day anniversary. If you don't know what D-day is, you are about to learn. 

From Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan

On June 6th 1944, The allies made a daring attempt to invade the beaches of Normandy, France. This operation was called 'Operation Overlord' but is more commonly known as 'D-day'. Over a thousand Allie troops died in a bloody battle against the Germans. D-day is, in my opinion, the most brutal and fascinating event in the history of the Second World War. It was beyond terrible what those young men endured on that stormy morning. 

Lots of people think that there was only one beach that was assaulted on D-day. These people are wrong.The D-day tour included Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, and Sword beaches.

Each Beach had individual sections

The Ultimate goal in the D-day assaults was to capture the beachhead and establish a Western front. Once this section of Western France was captured, the allies would have another route into France, thus enabling them to push their forces further into the country, liberating the towns as they went. The area was heavily occupied by the Germans. 

Juno Beach on D-Day, thanks to www.dday-overlord.com

This especially bloody battle has become a favorite amongst film makers. Steven Spielberg's phenomenal adaption of the D-day assault breaks my heart every time I watch it. 

 WARNING: This scene is realistic and gruesome. It is very violent, and I don't recommend watching it if you are easily unsettled.


My heart is with the brave young men that fought and fell on June 6th, 1944.
I love you guys.


El Capitain OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment